Friday, February 8, 2013

The Mo(chi) Must Go On!

I had a great time trying my hand at making mochi--and I plan to keep trying it.  I want to make more hand-pounded mochi when I have the time to put in as much elbow grease as I can muster, to see just how smooth I can make it.  Maybe one day I'll even find an affordable used mochi making machine on ebay (new ones are crazy expensive!) so I can get that wonderful whole rice flavor and a super-fine texture without putting in extended lengths of manual labor.  I think I'd like to try making my own red bean paste, too, and try some other fillings and flavors, like white bean and green tea.  Going into this project, independent of my fondness for mochi, I had a strong interest in Japan, too, so it was great learning more about Japanese food and culture while I was investigating mochi.  I'd love to try making some other Japanese foods and see what I could learn along the way!

Many thanks to the bloggers whose experience guided me, and shout outs to United Noodles (our local wonderland of Asian foods and kitchen items and my supplier for this project) and Cooking with Dog ("It's not what you think..."), my new favorite YouTube channel.

MOCHI SWEETS daifuku, image from www.raindeocampo.com

owari
(the end)

No comments:

Post a Comment